Heat and humidity greatly increase the risk of food spoilage. Below are some tips on food storage:
1. To freeze berries, place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet, freeze then pack in airtight containers.
2. Store cottage cheese upside down in its original container. It will keep longer.
3. Eggs are porous and will absorb refrigerator odors. Store them in their cartons and not in the refrigerator door compartment.
4. Before returning an opened ice cream carton to the freezer, press plastic wrap on the surface of the ice cream to prevent ice crystals from forming.
5. To store fresh herbs, wash them and stand them upright in a a glass containing an inch or two of cold water. Cover with a plastic bag and refrigerate.