Chicken curry is possibly the most common delicacy in Malaysia. It’s normally served with plain boiled rice, Indian flat bread or plain bread. This chicken curry recipe is very straightforward, easy to make and most importantly it’s kid-friendly 🙂
1. 600 – 800g chicken (skinless with bones & cut into small pieces)
Marinade chicken with the following for at least 30 minutes:-
a) 5 tablespoons curry powder (more if you like it spicy)
b) 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
c) 5 tablespoons plain yogurt
d) 1 tsp sea salt
e) 2 tablespoons of lime/lemon juice (optional)
Blend items 2 – 4 below:
2. One big red onion
3. Three cloves garlic
4. One inch of ginger
5. Two stalks lemongrass
6. Some curry leaves
7. Two cups/500 ml water (less if you prefer thicker curry or more if you like more sauce)
8. A quarter (1/4) cup low fat coconut milk or fresh milk
9. One big tomato (quartered)
10.200 – 300g potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)
11. Three tablespoons olive oil
1. Heat up Wok or a deep pot and add the olive oil.
2. Saute the blended ingredients (onion, garlic & ginger) until aromatic/light brown in colour.
3. Add the marinated chicken, lemongrass & curry leaves. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes before adding the water.
4. Cover the Wok/pot and lower the heat to medium. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chicken meat become tender. (Note: Taste the curry and add more salt if necessary)
5. Add the coconut milk/fresh milk and potatoes. Let it cook for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are just cooked.
6. Then add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
Serve hot with plain rice or bread.