Scones are the easiest English teatime treat. In less than half an hour you can make some warm homemade scones – the sultanas are optional.
2 cups self raising flour
60 g butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tablespoon caster sugar
2/3 cup milk/150 ml (approximately)
1/2 cup sultanas (Optional)
1. Preheat oven to 220°C.
2. Sift self raising flour and baking powder into a bowl.
3. Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in sugar and sultanas. Add enough milk to give a fairly soft dough.
5. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead very gently, then roll out to a 2cm (3/4 inch) thickness. Cut into 5 cm (2 inch) rounds and place on a lightly floured baking tray.
6. Brush with milk and bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
7. Cool on a wire rack. Cut in half and spread with butter and jam to serve.